Comprehensive Care and Support After Your Procedure
Current scientific research shows that rehabilitation, which includes exercise and lifestyle changes, can help reverse the debilitating effects of arteriosclerotic heart disease and cardiac surgery. The goal of the Maimonides Cardiac Rehabilitation & Exercise Program is to help you regain and maintain a healthy cardiovascular system and improve your quality of life.
If you’ve had significant heart disease and want to return to a normal healthy lifestyle, substantially increase the chances of keeping your heart functioning well and help to prevent a future heart attack, join our cardiac rehabilitation program. We offer a safe environment for you, free of worry about “overdoing” any exercise because your activities are monitored by a physician and tailored to your needs.
Highlights of the Program
- Our Individualized Approach to Your Rehabilitation
- EKG stress testing
- Individualized exercise programs
- Medically supervised exercise therapy
- Continuous EKG telemetry monitoring
- You Can also Utilize these Support Services
- Diet & nutritional counseling
- Cholesterol education
- Stress management program
- Smoking cessation classes
- Cardiac related lectures
- Cardiac patient support groups
- Some Separate Male and Female Classes Available
- Patient & Family CPR Training at Reduced Fees
What We Offer
Our Program offers many advantages because it is part of the Maimonides Heart & Vascular Center – known internationally as one of the most experienced, best equipped, comprehensive cardiac and vascular programs in the nation. Our multi-dimensional approach addresses the lifestyle risk factors which can impact your heart disease through state-of-the-art care, free lectures, support groups and physician referrals. The Heart & Vascular Center is also dedicated to your education, and our trained staff is always available to answer your questions or concerns. In addition, small, personalized sessions and our personable staff help to create a warm, comfortable environment.
How Our Program Works
Before beginning, you’ll receive a complete evaluation, including an interview and physical examination by one of our physicians who specializes in rehabilitation and exercise. An exercise stress test may be performed before you begin training and also upon completion to evaluate your progress. You will also receive an individualized treatment plan identifying your needs, goals, and capabilities; your plan is reevaluated on an ongoing basis.
Training is overseen by an exercise physiologist/physical therapist/registered nurse and directed by a physician. While exercising, you are monitored by a state-of-the-art computerized EKG system. We have treadmills, upright and recumbent bicycles, arm ergotomers, and free weights on site. Various combinations of these modalities are used based on your individual history, needs and ability
You are a candidate for our Program if your physician agrees that you are physically able to exercise.
- We accept participants who have any of the following:
- Stable angina (chest pain)
- Heart attack within last year
- Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) within six months
- In the very near future most insurance carriers will also likely approve the following indications:
- Angioplasty or stenting
- Cardiac valve
- Repair /replacement
- Heart or heart & lung transplant
- Some insurers may also cover cardiac rehabilitation for patients with:
- ICD (implantable cardiac defibrillator)
- Congestive heart failure
Prior approval for insurance coverage may be required.