Millipedes are worm-like bugs called arthropods. Certain types of millipedes release a harmful substance (toxin) if they are threatened or if you handle them roughly. Millipedes can squirt toxin several inches.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
If the millipede toxin gets on the skin, symptoms may include:
- Staining of the skin (turns brown)
- Intense burning or itching of skin
If the millipede toxin gets in the eyes, symptoms may include:
- Blindness (rare)
- Inflammation of the membrane lining the eyelids (conjunctivitis)
- Inflammation of the cornea (keratitis)
Wash the exposed area with plenty of soap and water. DO NOT USE ALCOHOL TO WASH THE AREA. Wash eyes with plenty of water if any toxin gets in them. Seek immediate medical attention. Tell the health care provider if any toxin got in the eyes.
Determine the following information:
- The patient's age, weight, and condition
- The name of the insect if known
- The time the person was exposed to the toxin
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
See: Poison control center - emergency number
If possible, bring the millipede to the emergency room for identification.
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate.
The symptoms usually go away within 24 hours after exposure. A brownish discoloration of the skin may persist for months. Severe reactions are mainly seen in tropical species. The outlook may be more serious if the eyes are involved.
Fritsche TR. Arthropods. In: Cohen J, Powderly WG, Berkley SF, et al, eds. Infectious Diseases. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2004:chap 247.
Schlossberg D. Arthropods and leeches. In: Goldman L, Ausiello D, eds. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:chap 380.
Steen CJ, Schwartz RA. Arthropod bites and stings. In: Wolff K, Goldsmith LA, Katz SI, et al, eds. Fitzpatrick’s Dermatology in General Medicine. 7th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2008:chap 210.
Review Date: 10/4/2009
Reviewed By: Jacob L. Heller, MD, MHA, Emergency Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, Washington. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2009 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.