Diverse Knowledge for a Diverse Community
At the Maimonides Infants & Children’s Hospital, we know that cultural understanding and specialization are crucial to pediatric care, especially in a community as diverse as Brooklyn. Brooklyn is home to 2.8 million people, nearly half of whom were born in a foreign country. Knowing how ethnicity can affect care is vital. Different ethnicities are predisposed to certain illnesses and conditions. Also, there are traditions and rituals which may impact communication and treatment. In order to accommodate and care for the wide spectrum of Brooklyn’s families, we develop and train our physicians and staff specifically to understand all the complexities of cultural diversity.
The Maimonides Infants & Children’s Hospital's outstanding pediatric board-certified doctors, nurses, nurse practitioners and the entire staff are dedicated to the health and well-being of children. We have an extraordinary language bank so there is never a communication barrier. We provide foods from across the globe, a wide-range of religious services, and we offer a patient representative department committed to your family's concerns. In order to reduce any anxiety a child may have, we evaluate and deliver care that is child-friendly, in an environment created just for them.
We offer a number of services including:
- An extensive language bank of translators
- Global foods and dietary needs
- Patient Representative Department
- Religious services
- Literature and educational materials in a wide range of languages
- Volunteer departments
- Education, training and support for the child and family
- Evaluation and delivering of care in a child-friendly environment
- Compassionate and sensitive care for the child and family